Monday, September 19, 2011

Round Room: The Reclaimed Silo Bar at L’Etoile


Ruben Mendez, L'Etoile Bartender
It's almost a stage, with it the ability to demonstrate the typical approach to the cocktail.  Ingredients are always real and always carefully chosen. The approach is taken from everyday interactions and whims and research.  As a stage, the black granite bar is supported by a reclaimed silo from a farm near Reedsburg, or so I was told by a nice couple who claimed to be, and most likely are, the parents of such an individual to take apart such things and put them back together in new and unique places.  On a stage, proficiently and efficiently supplying cocktails classic and artisanal.  Behind the stage, surrounded by competent, creative, professional contemporaries: a passion for stellar food and fine wine, a common bond that holds us together.

As a kid I'd often dreamt of becoming a chef; mostly because of the "Chef's Salad". Really, ham, cheese, egg, on a salad, sign me up!  Then I wanted to be a baseball player; astronaut was next after watching the Disney movie Space Camp. Finally, ten years ago, when I was almost a grown up and living in New York, I caught the wine bug from a sommelier co-worker at a Bastianich restaurant. Year after year I learned more and more, always taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge I was surrounded by at various establishments.

That still continues daily with the resources afforded L'Etoile, what with Michael's expertise, Frank's charm, Nic's candor, Stephen's wine appreciation and of course Tory's reputation for outstanding cuisine.  The staff at L'Etoile is proud to be a part of such a commended team and I am blessed to work my Dream Job.


I only know a few people who really look forward to going to work.  And Aaron Rodgers asked me to stop calling him.  So that leaves about five.  The four others also work at L’Etoile.  Yes, I look forward to going to work.  There's always something to learn.  Restaurant gossip is straight nerdy; where we ate last week, the great new tacos around the corner, underpriced wine at the place across the square, former co-workers new families. Or we talk about what to read; The NY Times Wednesday Dining Section and Isthmus' Dining Scene are almost mandatory weekly readings for the front of house staff.  All sorts of food, wine, booze and beer articles get emailed around.  Books on all topics food and beverage are brought in, shared, loaned, spilt on, returned.  Individual research on cheese, our farmers, local beer, wine, and everything else L’Etoile goes on daily.  

I never had a dream job before. As the saying goes, location, location, location and the Round Room that I found, might just be that place.  


Months ago I received a forwarded email from a customer inquiring about a cocktail "The T. M. (Flip)". Am very sorry for the delay and hope you are reading this.

The T. M. (Flip)
I created this drink after Talish (Graze’s GM) refused to amuse Chef's folly to put maple syrup, Door County Montmorency Cherry juice, Maker's Mark and an egg together in a cocktail. Or so Tory told me. That's exactly what I did.
1 1/2 oz Makers Mark
3/4 oz maple syrup (the syrup I use at L'Etoile is cut by 50% with 160•f water to change its viscosity and make it a little less sweet)
3/4 oz Door County Montmorency Cherry juice (can be purchased at the Willy St. Co-op)
1/2 egg white (large egg [this is an approximation. I never use all of the egg white behind the bar, just the first few gloops {yes, gloop is a technical term in the field of mixology (which I don’t believe in)}]).
Measure all ingredients into a shaker.  Shake vigorously, longer than normal to "whip" the egg white. Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.





3 comments:

  1. Its true he wont let me have eggs behind the bar. Congrats to you both on your sommelier-ship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Ruben. And ditto Frank, Nic, Michael and Tory. See you in a week.

    ReplyDelete